Anyone who wants to send some encouragement to Caleb

Caleb's NEW Address:
132 Hillside Dr
Norfolk, NE 68701



Elkhorn Valley Bank
Caleb R. Baber Medical Fund
800 West Benjamin Avenue
P.O. Box 1007
Norfolk, NE 68702-1007
Phone: 402-371-0722

Recovery in full swing

Recovery in full swing

Monday, September 22, 2008

So, this is the Hub for how Caleb is doing for the time being.

Hello friends and family,

This is roughly what happened to Caleb Saturday afternoon to clear up any confusion.

caleb was hiking with some friends along the occoee river on sat. afternoon. the group came to a clearing and caleb wanted to climb an electrical tower to try and see the river. he made it to the top, but on the way down he slipped and hit a live wire. he was electrocuted, and fell onto another live wire. his body went limp and he fell about 40 feet to the ground, but on the way down hit the electrical tower and cut his shoulder to the vein. the rescue team took about two hours to find them on the mountain. caleb's roommate was with the group and has some medical training and they were able to put pressure on his arm and keep the bleeding to a minimum. the rescue team lifted him in the helicopter and took him to the hospital in chattanooga. he was awake and answering questions when the brought him into the emergency room. they performed surgery sat. night. On Saturday morning they lifted him to the burn center in the hospital in nashville. as far as injuries go, he does have burns on his chest, torso, legs, arms, and feet. They did take out part of his small intestine, part of his colon and has a bruised lung. His lungs and heart are strong. They do have him on a respirator, because he is heavily sedated and his body needs to rest and recover. They are worried about his arm, they had to take out part of the muscle up by his shoulder where it hit the live wire. they haven't said anymore about the condition of his arm though. i don't know about his foot, i haven't been told anything about that. he is in critical condition but he's stable. his body is swollen from the burns and they are keeping him hydrated. his family had arrived in nashville and they are with him now. The doctors have confidence that he will pull through. he is a strong and healthy young man, but has a long road of recovery ahead of him. he does need a lot of prayer, and so does his family. please pray that God will provide for them while they stay in nashville to be with caleb.

That was the initial situation Saturday night and all day Sunday.

This is the update for what Monday has brought.

Caleb went in for surgery this morning at 8:00 and was only supposed to be there for 1.5 hours but didn't get out till 11:00. As it turns out, Everything they went in to check on was doing really well. They don't think they are going to have problems with his colon, which they thought they would have to do a temporary colonoscopy. All the internal organs are stable and working properly. His bladder is working again; He is still on the ventilator because of sedation. His circulation to both his left arm and legs is much improved which has almost ended any thoughts of amputation. The next big hurdles are going to be tackling the burn wounds which are primarily on his chest, left arm pit, neck, right foot/ankle and legs. Also, his facial nerve needs to be reconstructed. The doctors want to extubate him today which would help his breathing and allow things to clear out quicker. The obvious problem with this is that it means they have to reduce the pain medication which has kept him unconscious but allowed things to be relatively painless. The benefit to this would be that we would be able to talk to him and encourage him, but the pain could be really intense so be praying for that. Please check this blog before you contact us or family just to reduce the amount of phone traffic; everyone has been on the phone non stop which isn't exactly relaxing. Thanks for your prayers in this. The family is super encouraged after this last surgery and truly feel that this is not only the best case scenario but the direct result of hundreds of people praying. Well done everyone, we serve a Great God Huh?

Zach and Charlie


Psalm 121

1I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.

3He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
4Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5The LORD is your keeper;
the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7The LORD will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
8The LORD will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forevermore.

9 comments:

pfree said...

Hi folks,
This is Mr. Fremont and his 5th grade class in Guam (Pacific). I taught Caleb in 4th grade at PACS in Norfolk. I still remember the joy that it was to have him in my class. We are praying for him as a 5th grade and will continue as he recovers from his injuries. we have a God Who is a comfort and a strength to His children. Stay strong in the Lord, friends. We will lift all of you up as you help Caleb in his recovery.
Love,
Paul Fremont

Randall Gerard said...

Zach, Charlie, thanks for doing this. Caleb has wonderful friends. We here in Wyoming are praying for all concerned. Tami, Todd and family we love you, and wish we could be there with you. Keep the Faith. Let not your hearts be troubled. In the world, you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, for I (Jesus) have overcome the world.

May that peace which passes all earthly understanding be yours.

All our love,
Randy & Leslie Jenkins

Amy Goodwater-Lambrecht said...

Hello all-
My prayers are with all of you, as well as the prayers of Isaac and Autumn's classes at Zion Lutheran and our congregation here in Pierce.

Please tell Caleb that he has too much to do here on earth so to please get rest, stay strong and we will keep praying for a strong and successful recovery.

Todd and Tami, if there is anything I can do back here, please call or email me and let me know.

I'm praying for you all and keeping you all close to my heart-Rani, Caleb and Levi-you guys were my kids before I had my own-I love you all, stay strong and call or email me if you need anything.

All our love-
Amy, Jeff, Isaac and Autumn

BLT said...

Hi all,
thank you, thank you, thank you for this priceless blog site so those of us far away can be "in the know" as we too hold Caleb in our thoughts and prayers. To my brother Todd, sister-in-law Tami and all family members I'd like to say...we're with you in Spirit, just as we're with Caleb and the network of prayer chains in Prescott are workin' overtime!
Love You,
Beck & Mom

Rupp said...

Hi this is Nate, Caleb's 9 yr. old cousin. I'm praying for you every night and I scored a touchdown for you on Sunday. Uncle Marc, Aunt Tammy, Rani, Levi, Grandpa and all of Caleb's friends...I'm praying for you too, to take away the sadness. I love you, Nate

Anonymous said...

Caleb, Rene & I are praying for a succesful recovery for you. And strength for your family to help you get through this. Stay strong, with God all things are possible.

Rene & Jenny Martinez
Norfolk

Tami Tucker said...

Hi, I still haven't been able to sign into the blog as an author, so I thought I'd post my thoughts this way......WOW!!! Your awesome support has been incredible!!! GOD IS SO GOOD even in the midst of this incredible tribulation.... I will never be able to thank people enough. I hope as time goes on & I can get ahold of a computer to keep in touch this way with loved ones.(Right now we have to use university library computers) Love to all, Tami (Caleb's mom)

Whitney said...

Hey Guys, I know many have already said this but thank you for creating this blog its good to have updates, but also to know exactly what to pray for. I am one of Caleb's friends from church,so i don't many of you or family but I am praying everyday for God to show all His love and strength and give you peace. We serve a very big God and I know he has everything in His hands and is holding Caleb right now. If you can, please tell Caleb I am praying for him and so is many at Westwood Baptist. I will continue to pray, i know what this is like and I know God will pull you through this trial just continue to look to him.
In Christ, Whitney Barton

Anonymous said...

Caleb,

Hey buddy, I am so very sorry to hear about what happened to you. I will be praying for you and other people that we know will be praying for you. I hope all is going well for you. You will soon be receiving a card and a short note. I hope you like the card. You're in God's hands now and I hope he sees that you get to be well soon. I'll try and call Levi to see how everything is going but in the meantime I will be praying for you and your family.

Love always your friend,
Renee Stepp